Sarajevo, Bosnia (2007)
Hosted By: Peacemaker Friar Markovic and his interreligious NGO, Oci u Oci – Face to Face
Sixteen Peacemakers – all identified for their brave religious peacemaking work, came from across the globe, including such conflict zones as Colombia, Pakistan, and Nigeria. The group was also received by the Bosnian Presidency, who presented Tanenbaum’s 2006 and 2007 awards.
In Sarajevo, Tanenbaum accomplished two new goals for the program: (1) Positively Impacting Areas of Conflict: convening in and contributing to the home countries of Peacemakers; and (2) Exchanging Techniques: training of Peacemakers by Peacemakers. Each lent the occasion a depth that made the Retreat that much more enriching.
- Peacemakers Imam Muhammad Ashafa and Pastor James Wuye, Co-Founders and Directors, Interfaith Mediation Center, Nigeria
- Peacemaker Father Alec Reid, Redemptorist Priest, Northern Ireland
- Peacemaker José “Chencho” Alas, President and Executive Director, Foundation for Sustainability and Peacemaking in Mesoamerica, El Salvador
- Peacemaker Reverend Bill Lowrey, Director, Peacebuilding and Reconciliation for World Vision International
- Tim Clancy and Alen Lepirica, Coordinator for Eco-tourism and Program Manager/Lead Guide, Bosnian Eco-group Green Visions
- Rijad Tikvesa, Project Coordinator, NGO Egotism and eco-network Eko mreza BiH and an advisor to the government of the Federation of Bosnia-Herzegovina
- Carolyn Boyd, Field Director, World Council of Churches ‘Ecumenical Women’s Solidarity Fund’ (EWSF) for the former Yugoslavia
- Zilka Šiljak-Spahi, Islamic Feminist Theologian and Religious Studies Professor, University of Sarajevo
- Vesna Teršeliè, Founder and National Coordinator, Anti-War Campaign of CroatiaARK, Overseer, Center for Peace, Non-Violence and Human Rights
- Joyce S. Dubensky, Esq., Executive Vice President and CEO, Tanenbaum
- Sheherazade Jafari, Assistant Director, Religion and Conflict Resolution, Tanenbaum