Media Research Intern
Tanenbaum promotes justice and builds respect for religious difference by transforming individuals and institutions to reduce prejudice, hatred, and violence.
As a secular and non-sectarian non-profit, Tanenbaum works to promote religious peacebuilders who help counter extremism and violence in armed conflicts, and tackles religious bullying of students, harassment in workplaces, and disparate health treatment for people based on their beliefs.
Creating a space for religious and faith-based communities to speak for themselves and their experiences allows us to see them – and ourselves – more fully. Tanenbaum is launching Representing Religion: Resources for Building Ethical Representations of Belief, a website that houses self-representational resources from faith communities in one consolidated location so media industry professionals and storytellers can access them directly and efficiently. In doing so, Representing Religion encourages engagement between media and faith communities, respectful exploration of differences, and collaborative approaches to production.
The Media Research Intern reports directly to the Media Research Associate, and will be supervised by the Assistant Director of Communications – Media & PR. This position is expected to work at least 15- 20 hours weekly. The Media Research Intern will be part of the Communications Department and participate in departmental strategy discussions as well as the daily responsibilities of the department.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Research media content, articles, and events for website and e-newsletters.
- Public relations support and outreach.
- Work with Media Research Associate to source and organize materials for the Supplemental Media Library.
- Assist in online promotion of Tanenbaum programs as they relate to Representing Religion project.
- Analyze social media discourse on faith and media representation.
- Collect resources from community media organizations and independent content creators.
- Work with teams to draft copy for communications materials, including conference presentations, as they relate to the Representing Religion project.
- Assist in production of promotional materials for Representing Religion and media work.
The Media Research Intern position is an exciting opportunity to drive change through applied research, support information-sharing efforts of an international non-profit organization, and take part in Communications discussions with senior communications, research, and media industry professionals.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPECTATIONS
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Tanenbaum.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Strong research and analytic skills.
- Experience with social media and technology
- Ability to synthesize concepts into enticing, clear, and concise written materials.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Open-minded and curious.
- Current student.
- Sense of humor
All work produced for Tanenbaum by the intern is the work product of Tanenbaum and may not be used by the Media Research Intern outside of Tanenbaum-authorized activities.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and one or two brief writing samples (less than five pages) to [email protected]. Be sure to include the name of the position in the subject line of your email.
No phone calls, please.
Tanenbaum | Center for Interreligious Understanding
200 Broadway, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10038
Email: [email protected]