Tanenbaum promotes justice and builds respect for religious difference by transforming individuals and institutions to reduce prejudice, hatred, and violence.
As a secular and non-sectarian non-profit, Tanenbaum works to promote religious peacebuilders who help counter extremism and violence in armed conflicts, and tackles religious bullying of students, harassment in workplaces, and disparate health treatment for people based on their beliefs.
The Part-Time Research Associate reports to the Communications Manager – Media & Public Relations, and will work at least 10-20 hours a week, depending on grant project timeline. The Research Associate will be part of the Communications Department and participate in inter-departmental strategy discussions.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Work with Tanenbaum’s Communication’s Manager – Media & PR to create more consistent, relevant, respectful and appropriate representations of people of all faiths in media.
- Compile existing studies, analyses, resources and research related to guiding portrayals of specific faiths in the media.
- Call on existing network of faith-centered-organizations to gather information about the availability of resources for specific faith groups.
- Translate the results of the data and conversations into functional data.
- Draft the resource with our website developers to build a web-based site that will host all the information.
- Engage with media leaders to discuss the resources currently at their disposal, and their needs for additional resources and information.
- Work with Tanenbaum’s Development Department to create and produce a presentation provided at the Peace Made Possible 2022 Gala.
- Work with and support Tanenbaum’s Workplace team in the planning and implementation of a breakout session about media and faith representations as part of the 2021 Religious Diversity Leadership Summit.
- Work with appropriate staff to plan and implement a one-day convening (virtual or in-person) of representatives from faith-based stakeholders and media leaders to discuss the findings and promote resources in 2022.
- Recommend ways to promote this knowledge center in collaboration with additional media resources into the future.
- Create content for the promotion of this resource online and across social media platforms.
The Research Associate position is an exciting part-time 2-year opportunity working to build a shareable knowledge center that can be accessed by representatives in the media industry to create more consistent, relevant, respectful, and appropriate representations of faith in media.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPECTATIONS
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Tanenbaum
- Expertise with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint; experience with Tableau, WordPress, and/or DataWrapper preferred
- Ability to use Microsoft Office and social media, including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and Instagram
- Experience synthesizing complex data from multiple sources into a user-friendly and concise format
- Proficiency working with databases and navigating the web
- Strong verbal communications and presentation skills
- Ability to translate complex ideas and data into enticing, clear and concise writing;
- Strong analytic skills
- Ability to work independently and efficiently on concurrent projects
- Detailed oriented, highly organized, and productive
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Work experience commensurate with the scope of the project
- Sense of humor
All work produced for Tanenbaum by the Associate is the work product of Tanenbaum and may not be used by the Associate outside of Tanenbaum-authorized activities.
Tanenbaum staffs are currently working remotely due to COVID-19. This position is project-based and will be implemented over a 2-year period, segmented into six-month increments. Potential to extend based on funding availability. Please include preferred hourly salary.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and a very brief writing sample (500 words or less) to email@example.com. Be sure to include the name of the position in the subject line of your email.
No phone calls, please.
TANENBAUM | Center for Interreligious Understanding
55 Broad Street, 17th Floor, New York, NY 10004
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org