The Tanenbaum Center for Interreligious Understanding promotes mutual respect with practical programs that bridge religious difference and combat religious prejudice in areas of armed conflict, schools, workplaces and health care settings.
The Manager, External Communications position is an excellent opportunity to: (1) help create and drive the strategy and communications efforts of an innovative international non-profit organization with a range of initiatives to combat religious bigotry; (2) develop external advocacy and promotional communications; (3) take part in insightful Communications Committee discussions with seasoned PR professionals; and (4) plan and execute our Combating Extremism campaign by creating and disseminating educational resources and conducting extensive relevant research.
The Manager, External Communications reports to the CEO and works in collaboration with the Communications Manager (focused on Internal Communications). The Manager, External Communications is responsible for planning, developing, project managing, and implementing external communications, public relations, and other outreach strategies. Other responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Identify and book key public outreach opportunities (speeches/conferences/closed door sessions with corporate and global leadership) to present Tanenbaum as a thought leader and provide full support for development of presentations, promotion thereof, and materials shared.
- Coordinate public, press and media relations including proactive outreach.
- Actively research, identify, engage, cultivate and manage ongoing positive relationships with media who rely on Tanenbaum as a resource and use us for their stories.
- Pitch and place key stories with press.
- Extensive use of social media for external relations and press engagement.
- Liaise with community contacts.
- Conceive, plan, develop, project manage materials on complex international issues, implement and evaluate the Combatting Extremism program.
- Monitor the news and curate the weekly Religion in the News email blast.
- Conceive, research, create and support the development of op-eds, opinion pieces, blogs, speeches, tip sheets, etc.
- Staff the Communications Committee including organizing meetings, preparing all materials and follow-up.
- Track and report on departmental and organizational progress (prepare and report on the annual plan and budget for the external communications activity of the department.
- Collaborate with the Communications Manager to ensure the necessary support for:
- Website management and content.
- Social media outreach.
- Newsletters and reports.
- Institutional communications including core messages and branding.
- Communications for programs and development.
- Look and feel (branding) of all outward facing communication channels including event websites, printed materials, written pieces, signage and other onsite design.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPECTATIONS
- BA required (in Communications, Journalism, Marketing a plus). Relevant Masters preferred.
- At least 2 years relevant professional experience in Public Relations, Media, and/or Communications.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including the ability to articulate the mission and goals of Tanenbaum in an engaging and accessible yet nuanced manner across different platforms.
- Strategic and creative thinker, who knows how to imagine, create, implement and deliver with attention to every detail from look, to message, to timing.
- Ability to analyze and translate complex concepts into interesting, compelling, clear, crisp and concise written materials.
- Strong project management & departmental management skills.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects under deadline.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Thrive on creative problem solving and have a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Team player.
- Familiar with budgets.
- Represent Tanenbaum in a professional manner at all times.
- Experience with WordPress a plus.
- Sense of humor.
All work produced for Tanenbaum by the employee is the work product of tanenbaum and may not be used by the employee outside of Tanenbaum-authorized activities.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, salary requirements, and two brief writing samples (less than five pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. APPLICATIONS WITHOUT SALARY REQUIREMENTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
No phone calls, please.
Tanenbaum Center for Interreligious Understanding
55 Broad Street, 17th Floor, New York NY 10004
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com