Education Program Associate
Tanenbaum promotes justice and builds respect for religious difference by transforming individuals and institutions to reduce prejudice, hatred, and violence.
As a secular and non-sectarian nonprofit, Tanenbaum works to promote religious peacebuilders who help counter extremism and violence in armed conflicts, and tackles religious bullying of students, harassment in workplaces, and disparate health treatment for people based on their beliefs.
Tanenbaum’s Education program partners with educators and educational institutions across the country to teach students behaviors of respect for difference, including religious difference.
- Customized consulting for schools and other educational institutions.
- Professional development for formal and informal educators.
- Ready-to-use curricula, lesson plans, and other written educational resources.
- A national community of practice for educators committed to developing best practices in inclusive education.
The Education Program Associate is a full-time position that will work closely with the entire Education program team (including Senior Associate and Assistant Director) and report to the Assistant Director. The Program Associate will occasionally work with the Manager of Programs and/or CEO. The Program Associate will also collaborate with Tanenbaum’s other programs and departments where appropriate.
The Associate will be primarily responsible for supporting the Senior Associate and Assistant Director to fulfill the goals of the Education program including, but not limited to, dissemination of program and related resources, developing and maintaining partnerships, refining, and updating curricula and learning modules, developing new resources for educators, designing and delivering trainings and professional development workshops, and supporting the Education Advisory Board. There will be occasional evening and weekend hours, some travel, and the following responsibilities:
Curricula Development and Refinement
- Support the Senior Associate and Assistant Director in the review, editing, promotion, and dissemination of program resources for educators.
- Review all educational materials to ensure their utility in the classroom and/or in after school settings.
- Collaborate with all in-service teachers on Tanenbaum’s Education Advisory Board who will implement curricula in their classrooms and provide feedback.
- Work with Advisory Board members to selectively create new materials.
- Collaborate with Communications staff on design process.
- Implement outreach strategies including through communications efforts, to be developed in collaboration with the Assistant Director and Communications staff.
Support the Senior Associate and Assistant Director to design, deliver, and implement educator training/staff development trainings for public, private, charter, religious, and after-school educators annually.
- Design, deliver, and implement 3-5 workshops annually.
- Assist the Senior Education Associate to develop relationships with at least two clients on a consultant basis.
- Model all program lessons and activities.
- Update program content based on on-going research.
Assessment and Evaluation
Collaborate with the Senior Program Associate to expand and evaluate the reach of the program and the use of Tanenbaum resources in existing and new schools, with educators, and with education and community non-profit institutions through outreach, marketing, and presentations.
- On an ongoing basis, assess all training curricula based on observations, evaluations, teacher experiences and recommendations and then revise, modify, and adapt with Senior Associate and Assistant Director.
- Work with the Senior Associate, Assistant Director, Manager of Programs, and CEO to identify new directions and applications for the Education program and other Tanenbaum initiatives.
- Design evaluations of curricula resources and web-based trainings by working with program staff and consultants, implement the evaluations, and develop reports on findings.
- Track downloads of curricula and related resources.
- Work in cooperation with the Assistant Director and Development team to identify and prepare proposals for submission to potential program funders including by creating program/project narratives, budgets, and final reports on outcomes achieved.
- In collaboration with the Senior Program Associate, train and manage education program interns and volunteers.
- Maintain the mailbox for the program and respond to all inquiries, questions, and concerns.
- Draft letters, memos and other administrative functions as needed.
- Draft progress reports and otherwise for Board of Directors and senior management.
- Such other responsibilities as may be needed or appropriate.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPECTATIONS
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Tanenbaum.
- Experience in K-12 school settings a strong plus.
- Knowledge of current trends in education and educational philosophy.
- Strong interreligious, multicultural, and/or anti-bias competence/skills.
- Experience conducting trainings and strong presentation skills
- Understanding of and experience in marketing principles
- Skilled at project management.
- Experience in creating and managing budgets.
- Experience in community-building a plus
- Organized and adept at multi-tasking.
- Takes initiative.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Team player.
- Ability to analyze data and present it.
- Computer skills including PowerPoint, MS Word, Excel, and internet research.
- Represent Tanenbaum and the Education program in a professional manner at all times.
- Sense of humor.
All work produced for Tanenbaum by the employee is the work product of Tanenbaum and may not be used by the employee outside of Tanenbaum-authorized activities.
Flexible Work Schedule
Commuter Transit Allocation
403(b) Retirement Savings
Flexible Spending Account
Annual Professional Development stipend
Three weeks vacation accrual during first year
Annual Home Office Stipend
$45,000-$50,000 commensurate with experience
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter with resume and two brief writing samples (less than five pages) to [email protected]. Be sure to include the name of the position in the subject line of your email and how you learned of the position.
No phone calls, please.
TANENBAUM | Center for Interreligious Understanding
200 Broadway, 2nd Fl, NY, NY 10038
Email: [email protected]