Dear Tanenbaum Community,
As we continue to work towards a more equitable world that promotes justice and builds respect for religious difference, we’d like to share some helpful resources for accomplishing this work.
- Religion’s Role in Social Change: CFR webinar, which explores the relationship between religion and social justice.
- Religion and Anti-Racism: CFR series, which explores the relationship between religion and social justice.
- Educating Ourselves: Expanding the Muslim American Experience Beyond the Immigrant Story (webinar series): Hosted by ING, this webinar series will not only address the history and richness of Muslim African American life and the contributions of Muslim African Americans to Islam in America, but will also discuss how anti-black racism plays out among Muslim Americans and how it is directly related to Islamophobia and other forms of bigotry against other marginalized groups such as Asians and Latinx.
- Confronting Hate: Examining Anti-Semitism Through Religious and Ideological World Views (Video): This courageous conversation was designed to examine anti-Semitism and hate through various lenses and perspectives.
- A Path Forward: Confronting Hate in America (Video): Tanenbaum’s Combating Extremism campaign collaborated with Arno Michaelis, a former leader in the skinhead movement and now a peacebuilder, who pushed former white supremacist Ken Parker to meet his first Jew. Arno introduced Ken to Tamara Meyer, a Jewish Holocaust Educator, and to race relations expert Daryl Davis. And they videotaped Ken “break bread with a Jew,” —something he previously vowed never to do, relinquish all of his KKK memorabilia to Daryl, and discuss his regrets.
- What do anti-Semitism and anti-Immigrant hate have in common? Sojourners
- Anti-Semitism – What, Where and Why?: Defining precisely what is- and is not- anti-Semitism is challenging. This fact sheet looks at what anti-Semitism is, how it evolved, and whether it’s unique. With this resource, we intend to provide a brief overview of a vast and complicated topic.
- White Supremacy: An Overview: A comprehensive fact sheet about the varied white supremacist movements and groups.
- Religious & Spiritual Approaches to Anti-Racism: Religious and spiritual communities are actively engaged in anti-racism work. This fact sheet highlights organizations and initiatives working to move the needle toward justice.
- Five Ways to Combat Anti-Semitism NOW!: A resource for learning about and combating anti-Semitism
- Five Ways to Counter Extremists on Social Media: A “How To” resource sheet for rising above social media extremists and right-wing hate groups.
Rev. Mark E. Fowler